Manager of Nursing Services
CURE Children's Hospital of Niger has an exciting opportunity for a Manager of Nursing Services in Niamey, Niger. CURE is a faith-based non-profit organization operating a network of eight children’s hospitals throughout Africa and the Philippines. We provide world-class surgical care and intentional spiritual care to children living with treatable disabilities, all of which is free of charge to the patients and their families.
The Manager of Nursing Services is responsible for directing, managing, supervising and coordinating the activities and employees of all nursing units within the hospital. They are an active participant of the hospital senior management team to ensure that nursing is represented as an integral part of the patient care strategy through provision of dynamic leadership and clinical skill. This individual will assess, evaluate, and set up nursing care standards and objectives and will oversee quality assurance of the various units per accreditation and regulatory standards.
Leadership & Management:
- Overall administration of the Department of Nursing including planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, controlling, reporting, and budgeting.
- Ensure the recruitment and retention of qualified and experienced nursing staff.
- Monitor and ensure all nursing staff members are appropriately credentialed and licensed according to in-country laws and regulation.
- Develop, maintain, and implement nursing policies that conform to the CURE network nursing policies, procedures, and standards.
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate the development and implementation of goals, objectives, and priorities for the nursing area(s).
- Implement management strategies that promote efficient and effective health care delivery.
- Formulate strategies to execute the CURE nursing services policy and strategic plan in liaison with other departmental leaders.
- Participate and collaborate with CURE network peers through nursing management and practice councils.
- Provide updates to the Head of Nursing, Quality & Patient Safety on progress of all nursing initiatives and activities at least on a monthly basis.
- Create mechanisms that support effective communication within the nursing department.
- Plan, support, and implement a nursing professional development program.
- Plan and monitor operational budgets for the nursing department in collaboration with hospital Senior Management Team members.
- Represent CURE at local and national forums promoting the mission of the hospital.
- Oversee the process of continuous performance review for nursing department.
Quality & Patient Safety (QPS):
- Participate in development and implement QPS initiatives for nursing services and monitor compliance with the standards and ensure that the quality of nursing meets patient needs.
- Active participation in the hospital QPS Council, and other relevant QPS committee activities.
- Participate in planning and implementation of QPS assessments and audits.
- Responsible for implementation of all recommendations of QPS for gap closure for nursing services following assessments and for continuous quality improvement.
- Identify and monitor QPS and nursing indicators through use of the identified data dashboards and demonstrate use of information for improvement.
- Take lead in monitoring and prevention of patient safety issues and sentinel events through appropriate reporting & root cause analysis.
- Ensure and lead continuous quality service improvement and accreditation initiatives,
- in-service education programs, unit meetings and committee functions as assigned.
- Ensure that processes needed for the Quality Management System/Infection Control are reviewed, revised, implemented, and maintained.
- Oversee the quality inspections and implementation of quality programs.
- Ensure development and implementation of QPS policies, guidelines, and procedures for nursing departments.
- Recommend quality tools and techniques to be used in measuring CURE’s quality performance and variations; and solving quality problems.
- Report to the Senior Management Team on performance of the quality management system.
- Formulate and review QPS nursing-related policies, procedures, guidelines and relevant forms.
- Ensure periodic but regular assessments of patient satisfaction and identify/implement consequent improvements.
- Ensure infection prevention and control initiatives are fully implemented throughout the hospital.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, with a current license to practice with no restrictions is required. Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years clinical nursing practice; pediatric surgical nursing experience is highly preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a management position.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Computer proficiency in the applications/software used by CURE.
- Excellent knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of nursing.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe working environment.
- Strong supervisory, education and performance evaluation skills.
- Strong documentation skills including the ability to quantify and report in writing the outputs, outcomes, and impact of Nursing Department activities on a regular basis.
- Ability to work with numbers, including basic analysis abilities.
In addition, all candidates should be familiar with the Statement of Faith and will be required to agree with the declarations of the Statement of Faith to be considered for this position. Please click here to read our Statement of Faith.
This is a full-time, paid position that offers a salary with a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to, health and life insurance, relocation assistance, retirement, housing, in-country transportation, and annual paid leave.